I regularly mention how socially destructive smoking bans are. Here’s a case where Tobacco Control has destroyed a family.
A two-year-old boy from Hull, in East Riding of Yorkshire, has been taken from his parents after a government health visitor said they smoked too much.
Julie Allen, a health visitor from a local authority, told a family court that she had never come across such a “smoky house” before, and that the child and father were surrounded by a “visible cloud of smoke” when she visited. She claimed this made it difficult to breathe.
Another social worker said the unnamed child’s clothes and toys “smelt heavily of smoke”. The boy had recently experienced breathing problems and had an inhaler prescribed.
The Hull Daily Mail reports that Judge Louise Pemberton, who was also told of numerous other concerns about how the boy was cared for, decided the child should be placed for adoption.
The judge said: “On entering the living room Ms Allen described being able to see a visible cloud of smoke surrounding the father and (the boy).
“(The boy) was asleep on the sofa and had been unwell for some time by this point.
“Ms Allen described the room as ‘so smoke entrenched that I had difficulty breathing’. She immediately expressed concern to the parents as to the impact of such smoke on (the boy), who had already been prescribed an inhaler within the previous month to help his breathing.
“The parents seemed unable both at that stage and when the issue of smoking around (the boy) was raised by any other professional, to acknowledge or appreciate the concern and adapt their behaviour.”
I imagine that the parents were in their turn raised by parents who smoked (and whose grandparents smoked too), and none of them had never been bothered by it.
My father smoked. And so did my grandfather. And I bet my great-grandfathers smoked as well. And so on all the way back to the year dot. And none of it bothered me, and probably didn’t bother any of them either.
The only thing that I think might have changed is that most houses are badly ventilated these days, now that they no longer have chimneys and coal fires. And that might result in higher levels of smoke than they might otherwise have. Although I doubt that Ms Allen really did “have difficulty breathing.” She sounds like she was an obsessive antismoker of the kind that starts paddling the air at the sight of a smoker 200 yards away..
The only good thing about this story is that the parents almost certainly now hate the Tobacco Controllers with a passion. And I imagine that many of their smoking friends do too. And maybe quite a few of their non-smoking friends as well. In fact, maybe their entire community. And of course the story enraged me as well. In this manner, Tobacco Control is making more and more enemies.
Tobacco Control must be destroyed.