This is going to be huge.
Two years ago, FOIA left a link to what came to be known as the Climategate files on the Air Vent blog. There had always been a suggestion that there was a lot more to come, but nothing more was heard about it until 9:28 am today, when FOIA left another brief message, this time on Tall Bloke’s blog.
From what I’ve read of it, the new email dump dates from similar time periods as the original. They look much like the original emails, with the same cast of characters. A few sample extracts:
1. Observations do not show rising temperatures throughout the tropical troposphere unless you accept one single study and approach and discount a wealth of others. This is just downright dangerous. We need to communicate the uncertainty and be honest.
2. I also think the science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run.
3. the important thing is to make sure they’re loosing the PR battle. That’s what
the site [Real Climate] is about.
4. Having established scale and urgency, the political challenge is then to turn
this from an argument about the cost of cutting emissions – bad politics – to
one about the value of a stable climate – much better politics. […] the most
valuable thing to do is to tell the story about abrupt change as vividly as
5. But it will be very difficult to make the MWP go away in Greenland.
The internet is all over the new release, of course. Jeff Id on the Air Vent, James Delingpole in the Telegraph, Anthony Watts on Watts Up With That, Steve McIntyre at Climate Audit, Lubos Motl, Bishop Hill, and more.
Back in November 2009, it took a week or so for the MSM to start to respond to the revelations. I wonder how long it’s going to take them to respond to this new bunch of emails? No sign of any mention on the BBC as yet. Or Real Climate.
The last batch of emails did the AGW alarmist cause an enormous amount of damage, and was probably the principal trigger for the subsequent decline in public belief in global warming. The latest batch looks set to be just about as damaging.